• iDevices products require a home Wi-Fi®network with a 2.4 GHz network band (802.11 B/G/N)
Most routers have 2 network bands, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. The 5 GHz network band has faster data speeds, which is great for tasks like browsing the internet, and streaming content such as video or gaming. However, 5 GHz has a shorter signal range from the router.
The 2.4 GHz network, while slightly slower in speed, has a much longer signal range from the router making it ideal and more dependable for smart home products. Most smart home products require the 2.4 GHz network band, as this allows users to control products farther from the router, and doesn’t require continuous streaming.
• Router network security settings should be set to None, WPA or WPA2 with AES encryption.
To check your security settings or make these changes to your router, follow these steps:
- Log into your wireless router by entering the IP address of your router into a web browser. The IP address can be found in the router manual. If you have difficulty logging into your router, you can contact your internet service provider or router manufacturer for additional assistance.
- If prompted, enter the username and password for the router. The default username and password will also be listed in the router manual.
- Once you’ve logged in, look for the Wireless option.
- For Security Mode, select WPA, WPA2-Personal (WPA2-PSK) or None. If given an option for encryption, select AES. TKIP encryption is not compatible. Note: If "None" is selected for wireless security, a password isn’t required to join your network.
- In some cases, you may have to change your Wi-Fi password. If you have to change your password, you will have to enter the updated password for all of the devices (computers, tablets, smartphones, etc.) that connect to your network.
- Click "Save" or "Apply Changes."
- Your router may reboot itself to apply the changes.
The following routers are known to not currently be compatible with iDevices products:
- Actiontec MI424WR
- ARRIS EA9200
- ARRIS TG1672
- ARRIS TG862
- ARRIS TG1682G
- ASUS RT-AC1200
- Bell Home Hub 3000
- Business Class Routers
- Google Fiber
- Netgear Orbi (earlier than firmware 1.4.16)
- Netgear X6S
- Technicolor TC8717T
- Ubee Routers
- Linksys AC1200
Note: Due to firmware, router and mobile device updates, compatibility may change at any time.
All iDevices products are certified by the Wi-Fi Alliance®. The certification doesn’t guarantee iDevices products work with all routers. You can verify compliance on the Wi-Fi Alliance website - www.wi-fi.org - or look for this logo on your networking equipment to ensure compliance: