1. Gather the tools you will need and check that your iDevices Thermostat came with the necessary components.
Warnings And Safety Information:
Do not select COOL mode if the outside temperature is below 50°F (10°C). This could damage the cooling system.
2. Test your existing system. Using your old thermostat, turn on the heating/cooling functions (if applicable) to verify everything is functioning normally.
3. If you have a heat pump system, check the settings on your old thermostat and make a note whether you have an “O” or “B” type reversing valve.
4. Turn the power to your HVAC system OFF at the breaker box or the main switch controlling your heating/cooling system.
5. Confirm that the power is OFF by adjusting the temperature on your old thermostat and waiting to ensure your system doesn’t turn on.
6. Carefully remove the faceplate of your old thermostat.
7. Take a picture of your old thermostat’s wire arrangement to reference later on.
8. Make note of the current locations of each colored wire by referencing the Wiring Chart below. Note: If you see any of the following wires, please contact our Customer Experience Team to check system compatibility: A, X or P
9. Make sure you don’t have any 120/240V wires (look for thick black wires with wire nuts.) If you do, the iDevices Thermostat is not compatible with your system. If you are not sure, call us at 888.313.7019.
10. Record the locations of any jumpers and note whether there is a wire connected to RC and/or RH.
11. Disconnect the wires from the existing mounting plate (Tip: Ensure the wires don’t fall back into the wall by gently wrapping them around a pen). Remove the mounting plate from the wall.
12. Line up the iDevices Thermostat mounting plate on the wall in the desired location. Check that it is level and the wires are in a position to fit through the hole on the mounting plate. Use a pencil to mark anchor locations on the wall.
13. Set the mounting plate aside. Drill two holes (3/16” diameter) at the locations you have marked.
14. Install the provided anchors into the wall, line up the mounting plate to the holes and install with the provided screws.
15. Head to the Wiring Configuration section, to find the configuration that is closest to your old thermostat and note which system you have for later reference. To view Wiring Configurations, Click Here
16. Connect the wires to the mounting plate based on the information you gathered in the wiring chart, photos you took earlier and wiring configuration you noted for step 15.
17. To prevent electrical shorts and damage to your iDevices Thermostat or home, ensure all of the wire connections are secure and there are no bare wires in contact with another. Insulate bare wires with electrical tape as necessary. Push any excess wire back into the wall cavity.
18. Attach your iDevices Thermostat to the mounting plate.
19. Turn your power back on at the breaker box or switch that controls your heating/cooling system.