When adding users to control your HomeKit™ home and products, it is important that all users have their iOS devices upgraded to iOS 11.2.5 or later. All users must be signed into an iCloud® account to safely and securely allow multiple users the ability to control your home. Giving access to new users should be done within the home Wi-Fi® network, where the iDevices HomeKit products are already set up.
To invite a new user:
1. Make sure iCloud Drive, Keychain and Home are turned on for all users in iOS Settings > iCloud
2. The administrator (person who initially set up the iDevices products and Home) needs to be connected to the Wi-Fi network or have an Apple Home Hub where all HomeKit products are reachable (all products have to be working). An Apple Home Hub can be an Apple TV 4K, Apple TV 4th Generation, HomePod™, or iPad® running iOS 10 and later.
3. From the home dashboard, tap the current home name in the upper left-hand corner
4. Scroll down and tap "Manage Users"
5. Tap "Invite People"
6. Enter the email address the recipient uses for their iCloud account, then tap "Send Invite"
6. Once the invitation is sent, a pop-up notification will appear on the iOS device allowing them to accept or decline the invitation. If the pop-up notification is missed, open the Apple Home app and tap the home icon in the upper left-hand corner to locate the pending invitation.
Once approved, please allow 24-48 hours for iCloud to sync HomeKit data to the guest user's iOS device.
Note: In the iOS device of the invited user, ensure the iDevices Connected app is installed and the following settings are turned on:
- iOS Settings > iDevices > Home Data > On
- iOS Settings > iDevices > Synchronize Custom Home > On
Once the new user has access to the Home, the admin who initially set up the home can manage the level of control users have and remove invited users at any time. If a home hub is not set up, any invited users can only use the Apple Home app to control accessories while they're at the home, connected to the home Wi-Fi network, and within range of the HomeKit accessories.
To adjust access or remove a user:
- Open the Apple Home app and tap the house icon in the upper left-hand corner
- Tap the person that you want to edit permissions for or remove from the home
- Adjust the settings below:
Allow Remote Access: Turn on to allow users to control accessories from any location using the Apple Home app. Turn off to allow users to only control accessories while they're at the home.
Allow Editing: Turn on to allow users to add and remove accessories, scenes, and invite other users.
Remove Person: Removes this user from the home. They will no longer see or control any accessories.