When adding users to control your HomeKit™ home and products, it is important that all users have their iOS devices upgraded to iOS 9.0.1 or higher. All users must be signed into an iCloud® account, with iCloud Drive, Home and Keychain® turned on. Apple's HomeKit protocol needs this information in order to safely and securely allow multiple users the ability to control your home. Giving access to new users should be done within the home Wi-Fi® network, with the iDevices HomeKit products paired and connected.
Note: When updating to the newest version of the iDevices Connected app for iOS, you must update the app on all of your iOS devices for sharing to continue to work properly.
Follow this procedure:
1. Make sure iCloud Drive, Keychain and Home are turned on for both users in Settings > iCloud
2. The administrator (person who initially set up the iDevices products and Home) needs to be connected to the Wi-Fi network and all HomeKit products need to be reachable (all products have to be working)
3. Tap the "Edit" button to the right of your home name
4. Scroll down and tap "Manage Users"
5. Tap the blue "Invite People" button and enter the email address of the recipient's iCloud account
6. Once the invitation is sent, a pop-up notification will appear on the iOS device allowing them to accept or decline the invitation. If the pop-up notification is missed, you can accept the invitation from the other device using the steps below:
If your device is on iOS 9, go to the Settings app, select "Follow Ups":
If your device is on iOS 10 or later, open the Apple Home app and tap the arrow in the upper left-hand corner:
Once approved, please allow 24-48 hours for iCloud to sync HomeKit data to the guest user's iOS device.
Note: In the iOS device of the invited user, ensure the iDevices Connected app is installed and the following settings are turned on:
- Settings > iDevices > Home Data > On
- Settings > iDevices > Synchronize Custom Home > On